Well, I finally did it. I installed OSX on VirtualBox. Normally, I am pretty anti-apple, and I still maintain they are evil. But after using OSX for a bit, I can say that a lot of my opinions on it were informed more by Apple corporate policy than how it actually functions. It is, after all, a pretty fun OS. I will be glad to finally be able to code in TextMate. Right now I am still DLing the massive iOS SDK, 3.5gigs, oi! I am not saying I have fully converted to iFaggotry just yet, and constantly having to type these lower case i’s is really annoying, but I will say that I am not as uncomfortable about using OSX as I thought I would be. I have also setup App Accelerator Titanium, basically at the request of a client who wants an iPhone app developed, or at least is thinking it over, so I decided to look at some options and come up with a nice treatment on what it would take. As an unrepentant nerd, the idea of using a new OS is kinda cool, so I am trying to have as much fun as possible.
Wow, google really fell down on the job with this one, using the basic windows/IE connection settings for the internet, I know it’s easier that way, but that’s an inconvenience I don’t need. Chrome is faster, but lacking such a basic feature really makes me not want to use it. It’s almost the principal of the thing.
I had this problem while running sudo gem install anything, like sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby or what not, albeit while running Ubuntu in VirtualBox. The fix that worked for me was editing /etc/resolv.conf and using google’s public dns nameservers of 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 Now it works fine… Go figure.
Here’s the best and quickest solution I could find: dpkg -r dovcot-common dovecot-pop3d etc… apt-get install popa3d And you’re done. Not, etc.. isn’t a package, just dpkg -r the ones you installed, like dovecot-imapd or such. Fixes the issue everytime.